- Alfa Romeo Aston Martin Bentley Borgward Bufori Caterham Chana Chery
- Chevrolet Citroen Ferrari Fiat Ford Haval Infiniti Isuzu
- Jaguar Jeep JMC Lamborghini Land Rover Lotus Mahindra Maserati
- Maxus McLaren MINI Mitsubishi Peugeot Porsche Renault Rolls-Royce
- Skoda SsangYong Subaru Suzuki Tata Volkswagen Volvo
Share your experiences with the Honda Civic - Write an owner review
Do you own the Honda Civic? As the owner, you have literally sat in the driver's seat and discovered the ups and downs as you go about your everyday life.
Share your experiences with the Honda Civic and help others in the market for a car like this.
* limited to Malaysian citizens and verified owners of the reviewed car.
CarBase.my works with ISM Insurance Services to verify car ownership in order to ensure quality reviews.
10 Owner Reviews
20 February 2021
- One of the nicest looking cars on the road.
- Great cabin design - Simple and straight forward but focused on the driver's needs.
- Fuel efficiency - Nuff said. 11 litres more than your typical myvi but offers way more efficiency in mileage (with room for higher speeds too)
- Low height - great for taking tighter corners
- Great stock suspension - Comfortable and doesn't punish you if you take speed bumps slightly faster than normal.
- Extremely affordable maintenance. Min 200+ Max 500+
- Straight forward warranty policy from Honda which is customer friendly to understand. May be strict at times.
- Lovely speedometer- Straight forward user-friendly design with options to choose from for your driving preference. Screen
- The 1.8 engine is sufficient - Reduced costs for maintenance and still as capable for personal driving experience.
- Great braking system - The car's braking system is very much responsive and tuned to the weight of the car. Light to touch yet responsive on the pressure.
- Windscreen gets stone chips easily - Read more on this and I recommend to every future owner to get windscreen insurance! It's a MUST HAVE. PPF if you have extra budget. The car is naturally lower than most and if you love speed, your windscreen is at much higher risk.
- CVT - low-speed jerk. CVTs are great until they're at low-speeds or at cold starts. They jerk and they remind you that nothing's perfect in this world.
- Driver's blindspot area is huge. May take a new owner some time getting used to this vehicle. Combine this with the car's height, an inexperienced driver may make expensive mistakes.
- Noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) - the civic has one of the poorest insulation from outside noise. Tyre choice does affect it but the main solution is to get additional insulation.
- Sub-par dashboard assembly - Ugh. The rattling. You can tell the civic was built for super smooth roads. On Malaysian roads, they sometime reveal the downside of an idealistic design.
- Steering rack - A faulty design by the supplier to Honda, this legendary issue plagues all Honda Civics. From 2016 to 2020, all Honda Civics have this DNA. Common symptom includes vibration and feedback when turning the steering wheel fully. Covered by Warranty. Minor issue if you treat your car well.
- Basic sound system. If you're thinking of upgrading, think about your warranty for wiring and electronics first.
- Honda has QC problems at times - but forgivable for their recall initiatives that usually hassle-free and straight forward to owners.
17 July 2019
- Fuel consumption 12.9km / litre
- Pretty design and great colour (Dark Ruby Red Pearl)
- Comfort and spacious
- Rear aircond makes the back passenger feels cold quickly
- A bit low after use it for some time. Initially feels ok but it doesn't feel like family car.
- I would have consider Civic Hatchback version if it is available in Malaysia.
25 September 2018
- Spacious Design
- Good suspension, Very comfortable.
- Very smooth turning & Smooth Driving Feel
- Great Reverse Camera.
- High Fuel Efficiency
- Motoria Sdn Bhd (Prai) is #1 Service Centre on resolving honda car issue. Strongly recommended.
- The body height is low. It will be good if honda civic offer 2 versions. Sport edition (low height) & Normal Edition (High height)
- Back Seat can't bend down. Should provide this feature. Need to carry furniture from IKEA !
- CVT Gearbox Issue - A bit jerky during accelerating from 50-70 kmph. This happen on my unit. Honda replace new CVT gearbox quickly for my case. Rare happen.
- Provide guideline clearly on how to protect your CVT gearbox during driving. What can't do?
7 August 2018
- good overall packaging VS similar range in Malaysia
- spacious regardless for driver, rear passenger and rear boot space
- capable turbo engine adequate for urban and freeway accelerate and cruise, yet able to be economical if driver wants to and can behave
- lesser rate of quality defect VS some manufacturers
- driving experience not as joy as mazda3
- stripping away many good features, but the most unacceptable for me, is the exclusion of passenger airbag disable function
- too bad Malaysia don’t get SENSING in top spec, else I would go for it
- bring back the safety features
27 December 2017
Good fuel efficiency, average 13.1km/litre for 100% city drive
Impressive cabin and interior space
Auto brake hold very useful when in traffic jams
Rear aircond vents
For the price and specs given, it's value for money.
Obvious road noise
Fold down rear seats
8 December 2016
- Very good fuel economy. (Fuel consumption is better then my old Myvi 1.3 manual.)
- Compared to Honda Accord, the suspension is on the softer side. Comfortable ride for the family.
- Very spacious rear seats and outstanding legroom.
- For 1.8 spec, does not feel under powered. Engine revs at ~3000 when cruising at 150kmh on highway.
- Super smooth CVT.
- Compared to 1.5 turbo, I feel 1.8 version should be cheaper to maintain and less issues. 1.8 engine has a proven track record.
- Super cold aircond and powerful ac blower.
- Spacious boot. Boot lid closes easily without much force. Some say this is not solid, but I prefer it this way as you do not need to smash the boot lid every time you want to close it.
- Quality of assembly can be improved. Noticed gaps between front headlamps and front bumper. This can be easily fixed during your scheduled servicing.
- Loud road noise when driving at higher speed. This is more obvious for rear passengers. Suspect it is due to the stock Conti MC5 tyre which has a harder compound.
- Head unit is a bit buggy when using Android Auto. Honda needs to update the firmware.
- Poor sound quality from the stock speakers.
- Rear seats not foldable.
- Door cup holder (front and back) is a bit small. Only fits small/slim water bottles.
- Please provide better speakers and head unit.
- Larger cupholders.
2 August 2016
- Ride & Handling. Very stable at high speed around 140km/h to 160 km/h. Well weighted and balanced steering especially on winding kampung roads. Steering is light around city and great for parking in tight spaces. Conti contact MC5 grips very well no matter the road condition.
- Engine performance. Good response from the turbo and VTEC combo when overtaking and climbing steep hills. Very low turbo lag. Torque is useable max torque at 5000 no need to rev high.
- Transmission. One of the best CVT gearbox at the moment. Whining sound is minimal. Sports mode and paddle shifters is a nice feature. Synthetic shift points sounds ok to my ears .
- Noise,vibrations and harshness. Suspension is well tuned and balanced.
-Design. One of the best design for a C-segment. Eye catching exterior, drive it along a busy area lots of people will look at your car especially car enthusiast and women. Interior is well designed and muscular at the same time.
Fuel consumption - Econ mode is ok, ok response not to sluggish like a vios. Around highway 14.3km/l is possible when driving around 110km/h to 130km/h with A/C on. Around city expect to get around 13 km/l
Interior & Features- Android Auto is a nice feature to have, good user interface with speedometer integration e.g. google maps and spotify. Headroom and legroom is one of the best in its class. Materials used is ok for its price range. The back up camera and sensor is great. Decent interior storage space
-Safety. Basic safety feature e.g. VSC,TC and 6 airbags is standard across the range.
- Quality. Some bad workmanship and cost cut materials is used. For example near the door hinges, poor sealant installation near the spare tyre and materials around the wheel arches. CKD fit and finish is not up to Japan standards. Ticking sound when high bass music is played, near drivers side i suspect its from the speakers. Steering wheel control buttons is very sharp and very plasticy.
- Features. Auto brake hold is a bit jerky to use around stop and go traffic. Android Auto is a bit buggy, sometimes spotify app froze. WhatsApp messages can only read and reply english messages only.
Alarm goes off randomly if the last close doors is not the driver's door. BEFORE you lock your car you need to open and close the drivers door if the passengers doors and trunk is open before to avoid random alarm.
- interior. Lack of foldability for the rear seats and no ski hatch cmon lah even Bezza got it. Lack headrest support. No auto wipers. FM Radio user interface is not intuitive, no radio station information and radio station list needs to updated manually.
- Value. The high spec premium car is rm10k more compare to the standard turbo variant and you only get LED fog and headlight, dual zone and chrome door handles. For 10k more i aspect Honda wii at least equip it Lane departure or collision warning or premium audio or sunroof.
Fine tuning the auto brake hold function.
Add foldable rear seats and headrest support
Better equipment for top spec variant
27 July 2016
My rating is based on what Civic offered among its class.
Entering the 3rd day of ownership of this car, never regrets. This car is absolutely superb in terms of performance, exterior & interior design, modern-tech, comfort and safety.
1.) 1.5 CVT Turbo - With 170hp/220Nm recipe, this car drive seamlessly and overtake effortlessly. It is responsive and the turbo is felt at its minimal level.
2.) LED headlights - Giving you clear and bright views during night time. Haven't really see any others players in its class offers LED headlights, I'm not 100% sure tho.
3.) ECON button - While turning this on, you need to press slight harder for more power. In other words, it helps you to save fuel for not letting accelerate hard.
4.) LCD Display - This thing is absolutely gorgeous and informative. I really like how they design the temperature and fuel gauge. Look into its details, it is really very nice.
5.) Safety Features - 6 Airbags, VSA and Emergency Brake Signal etc, bunch of vital safety features which is one of the reasons I considered to take this car.
6.) Handling - It handles great on the road. With 1.2 turning ratio, it steers responsive and direct.
7.) Spacious - Surprisingly it is very spacious at front and rear despite the sloping rear design. Headroom and legroom are great at both sides.
8.) Remote start - Brilliant feature that none in its class has this features. Say you parked under sunny weather for lunch, you can remote-start 5 minutes before you enter the car.
9.) Fuel efficiency - Although I haven't finished my first-filled tank, so far I ran 230km+, still left 65% of fuel.
Well, there are still some cons in this car I found but they were overwhelmed by the pros so I really satisfied with this 2016 Civic.
1.) Brake - Its brake is not really up to my expectation given its power output, sometimes I will be afraid of driving at high speed of this car/
2.) Auto brake-hold - It helps you to hold your brake if you come to complete stop but there's situation where you stop and go immediately because of the vehicle in front of you starts to go. Then, this auto hold holds the brake while you're on the move, making you stop unintentionally and there will be weird noise coming from your brake. Therefore, I seldom use this function already.
3.) Sounds system - It didn't provide a better sounds system despite choosing the highest variant, at least come as an option so consumer will have a choice.
18 July 2016
It's very difficult to find something to dislike about this car... Honda really did a very good job this time round with this Civic.. It's hands down, best in it's class in terms for "Bang for Buck"
Very honestly, I do not, I repeat, I do not regret buying this car.... It's absolutely brilliant at its price point and it's a step ahead compared to all other cars in its segment. Comparable to my friends A3, it's better if not the same.. ;P
-interior feels premium (feels more like a German car instead of a Japanese car) mixture of soft plastic and hard plastic all round.
-(apple car play is a huge plus)
-handling is superb and very responsive...
-petrol consumption is great
-Boot space is huge!
-acceleration never disappoints (non turbo variant)
-Safety features (too many to list, and they come as standard across the board)
-roomy interior (especially for the back passengers)
-handsome exterior looks.... Very gorgeous..... Looks like a long hatchback....
-rear air cond vents!!!! Big Plus!
-leather steering wheel and leather gear knob.. =)
-GREAT FAMILY SEDAN
No matter how awesome this car is.... I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said My Civic is PERFECT.
-fabric used for seats seem to be a little thin, compared to my CRV's fabric seats... (Cut cost?)
-non foldable rear seats..... Unable to load long items like curtain rods etc...
-no lights for the vanity mirror....
-too low for elderly people....
(It may be a good thing for the Centre of Gravity, but it'll not be your parents/grandparents favourite car to enter and exit)
-no android auto yet..... (Android, why are you always so slow? Can you be more like apple?)
-settings for the car's extra features aren't that straight forward.
-rear Doors do not open 90degrees, so.... Entering and exiting may be slightly difficult.
-the plastic buttons on the steering wheels are mediocre and not great.. They could be way better....
(Not much travel in them and it's just not satisfying enough.... Plasticky......
-Please give us the option to fold our rear seats? Instead of putting a bar right across it... We could use the extended space which is already available.
-Buttons on the Steering wheel, next generation, perhaps... Have better materials?
-Fabric seats.... Get more thread for the seats? Don't be so stingy Honda... =P
30 June 2016
The new looks
Well equipt for a baseline model
Feels well made
*i just got it today, they said im the first one to get the 1.8 variant, will be updating
The back seat cant be pull down?!
Some lag for 1.8 ivtec variant